Welcome to the Rex Mill Middle STEM School Magnet Program!
We are so excited to welcome our new scholars to the University of Rex Mill Middle STEM School Magnet Program for the 2023-2024 school year! Our goal is to ensure that ALL students are exposed to a rich and rigorous STEAM Curriculum with a focus on STEM interdisciplinary units. As a school, we are continuing to STEMulate an environment of High Performance because #itswhatwedo and #itallmatters.
Rex Mill Middle STEM School's approach is to integrate Science, Technology, Engineering and Math with an appreciation of the arts into all aspects of learning, including reading, writing and social studies. All of our students are actively engaged in hands-on-science and math activities in their classrooms, which are supported by our innovative resource labs. Through these hands-on experiences, our students consistently develop skills in problem solving, critical thinking and collaborating with peers.
Our Academic Highlights:
- Rex Mill Middle STEM School's Math Team advanced to the National Math Festival, placing at the National Convention in Alabama.
- At the National Competition, our 7th Grade Scholars placed 1st and 2nd in the Individual Competition.
- Our 8th Grade Scholars placed 1st in the National Math Festival for team competitions.
- Rex Mill Middle STEM School's Beta Club sponsored the 1st Clayton County "Joy Prom"
Our Signature Events:
- Rex Mill Middle STEM School hosted and participated in the 1st Clayton County Water Authority Competition, where students were tasked with engineering a functional water tower. This year, our 6th Grade Scholars will focus on the Clayton County Water Authority Competition so that our 7th and 8th Grade Scholars can focus on our Science and Social Studies Fair.
- Rex Mill Middle STEM School was represented in Savannah, GA at the Women in Engineering Day by over fifty of our distinguished young ladies.
- Rex Mill hosted Clayton County Public Schools' first Next Big Idea Business Competition during the 2020-2021 school year.
Our Teacher Highlights:
- One of our dynamic educators, Mr. Martinez, graduated from Honeywell's STEM Teacher Leadership Program. This elite leadership program is a multinational company that produces consumer products, engineering service and aerospace systems.
- During the Summer of the 2019 school year, our STEM Leadership Team toured Delta Headquarters where they were able to learn about various career opportunities to expose our scholars to.
- Our Band teacher, Mrs. Coleman's daughter, Beyuti (Stillwell School of the Arts) was the Grand Prize Winner in the Amazon Pharrell Your Voice is Your Power Contest.
- Mr. Fields sponsored our Stock Market Team, who competed in the Stock Market Competition where they finished in the top 100 out of more than 2,200 participating teams.
Our Student Highlights:
- 8th Grade Scholar, Kamaria W. was selected as the Keynote Speaker at the International Summit of Entrepreneurship for Children and Youth on September 24, 2021.
- 6th Grade Scholar, Victoria J. was selected as the winner of the Next Big Idea Business Competition (2020-2021SY).
- Scholar Caleb H. coded a remix of Pharrell and Jay-Z's "Entrepreneur," and made it to the "Your Voice is Power" Competition Hot 100.
- 8th Grade Scholars Christian Y., Dewayne W., and Andrew S. has represented Rex Mill in winning its third straight Stock Market Competition for their grade level in Congressional District 5.
- Scholars Kenyan S. (8th) ,Cameron M. (7th), and Robert R. (6th) won the Challenge 24 Competition for their grade level and will be competing in the County Competition next. The alternates are: Estefany P. (6th), Zaire S. (7th) and Elder L. (8th).
- These scholars: Rayna B. , Kyara D., Kourtney C. , Victoria H. , Ariel G. , Morgan D. , Ashlyn M. , Allyson R., were accepted and will perform with The Athena Music Honor Band in February. The Athena Honor Band is a national ensemble that recognizes young ladies who exemplify great musicianship and leadership.
- Rex Mill Middle STEM School inducted 127 students into the National Jr. Beta Club, an organization that recognizes students for academic achievement, character, leadership and service.
- 1st Place Winner for Drama-World Languages: Rovin. P 7th grade.